The Last 10 Years (2022)
I genuinely did not expect this movie to hurt me this much.
At first, I thought I was just watching another sad romance. Two people meet, fall in love, spend time together, and eventually have to face something neither of them can escape. I thought I knew where this was going. But somewhere along the way, I stopped watching it like a movie and started feeling like I was watching two real people live through something they never deserved.
Matsuri knows that she does not have forever. She knows exactly how much time she has left, and because of that, she tries to convince herself that she should not fall in love. She does not want someone to become attached to her. She does not want to leave someone behind. More than anything, she does not want to become the reason someone else has to carry pain after she is gone.
Then she meets Kazuto.
And I think that is where the movie really got me.
Because Kazuto does not come into her life and magically fix everything. He just makes her want to live again. He makes ordinary days feel important. Eating together, going somewhere together, talking about nothing, laughing over stupid things, making plans for the future. Things that would normally feel so small suddenly become everything.
There is something incredibly painful about watching Matsuri slowly allow herself to be happy while knowing that happiness has an ending.
You can see her trying to hold onto every moment.
And the sad part is that she does not even know how to properly enjoy some of them because part of her is already thinking about the day she will have to leave.
That feeling stayed with me throughout the entire movie.
I kept thinking about how we treat time like it is something we have an unlimited amount of. We say "maybe later." We put off seeing people. We assume there will always be another birthday, another holiday, another conversation, another chance to say what we really mean.
But Matsuri does not have that luxury.
And because of that, the movie made me look at ordinary moments differently.
A simple meal can be a memory.
A walk home can be a memory.
Someone laughing beside you can become something you would give anything to experience one more time.
That is what makes this movie so painful. It is not just the big emotional moments. It is all the little moments in between them.
I think the scene that destroyed me the most was not necessarily the saddest scene. It was seeing how much they wanted a normal future. They talked about things like they had all the time in the world. They made plans. They imagined what their life could look like.
And that is such a cruel thing about life.
Sometimes you can love someone with your whole heart and still not get the future you imagined with them.
There is no villain in this story. Nobody betrays anybody. Nobody stops loving the other person. There is no mistake that could have been avoided to change the ending.
Life just happens.
And somehow, that makes it hurt even more.
I also loved that Kazuto never felt like he was simply there to be "the guy who falls in love with the sick girl." He had his own struggles, his own regrets, and his own reasons for feeling lost. Matsuri did not just give him love. She gave him a reason to start looking forward again.
And in return, Kazuto gave Matsuri something she thought she had to give up.
A reason to live in the present.
I think that is what their relationship means to me.
Matsuri spends so much of the movie thinking about how little time she has left, but Kazuto helps her understand that maybe the amount of time was never the most important part.
Maybe it was what she did with it.
Maybe ten years is not automatically more meaningful than one year.
Maybe one year with someone who makes you feel alive can stay with you longer than a lifetime spent feeling nothing.
And honestly, that thought destroyed me.
Because the movie does not make you feel like their love was pointless just because it ended.
It makes you feel the opposite.
Their love mattered because it happened.
Every conversation mattered. Every stupid joke mattered. Every ordinary day mattered. Every memory they made mattered, even though they could not keep making them forever.
I finished this movie feeling completely empty.
Not the kind of empty where you are bored or disappointed.
The kind where you just sit there for a few minutes after the credits and think about the people you love and how little control any of us actually have over time.
There are people in our lives right now that we assume will always be there.
And maybe they will.
But we do not really know.
That is what this movie reminded me of.
Love is not always about getting forever.
Sometimes love is getting whatever time you are given and choosing to make it meaningful.
And I think that is why the ending hurt so much.
Because by the time you reach it, you are no longer wishing for some impossible miracle.
You are just wishing for one more day.
One more conversation.
One more meal.
One more laugh.
One more ordinary day where everything is still okay.
And maybe that is the cruelest thing about this movie.
It makes you realize that the moments we usually take for granted are often the moments we would miss the most.
I went into this expecting a romance.
I came out thinking about life.
About time.
About the people I love.
About how easily we assume there will always be a tomorrow.
The Last 10 Years is heartbreaking because it never makes you hate the ending. It makes you wish there was more time before it.
And honestly, I don't think I'll ever look at "just another day" the same way again.


Comments
Post a Comment